Tuesday, June 28, 2005

The Man of La Mancha

You know what, I should be talking of the stuff below:

    for ( int i = 0; i < max_memsize; i++ )
    {
        mem_block[i].value &= 0x00;
    }


But I guess the softer, creative, sentimental side of my brain is dominating my cold, calulating one. I seem to be a lot more philosophical, or even contemplentative during the middle of the night. Must be the weather though (heh heh) I was thinking of what happens to the world today. It seems that most people are on the pessimistic side, thinking the glass half empty rather than half full. And I see a lot of cynics nowadays. Looks like everybody wants to be the devil's advocate. It's hard not to disagree because I am turning into a cynic myself. A very bad one. I often think in my solitude that bad things are happening as well as about to happen not just in my life but also with the world around me.



As I was browsing the net, I came across Don Quixote, the man from La Mancha. In the story many think of him as a man with delusions of grandeur (hence the term "Quixotic") that he is out to save the world and rid it of its evil. He is so obsessed with tales of knights and chivalry that he decided to be a knight-errant himself. With his driving force, Dulcinea del Toboso and his horse Rocinante, he Journeys far and wide, with his squire, Sancho Panza.

Don Quixote is visibly crazy to most people. He believes ordinary inns to be enchanted castles, and their peasant girls to be beautiful princesses. He mistakes windmills for oppressive giants sent by evil enchanters. He was chasing a dream, some would say, and Sancho would accompany him only because there may come a time that they would become lucky and get rich. Through the course of the story their characters develop. It was a tragic ending, with Don Quixote on his deathbed deciding what he did was madness, and Sanzo Pancha still urging him to go on. He never did find his dream, but sometimes the journey becomes more important than the destination sometimes.

Sometimes, reading gets you into perspective. Sometimes when you think you want to give up, you get reminded otherwise. Sometimes it is important to re-evaluate your self as you grow, so that you get things in order, to do what you want and get what you want. I used to see the world as black and white. But as I grew I see shades of gray. Maybe its time to chase that star, no matter how impossible, hopless and far. And just maybe I would do all that as go meet my Dulcinea.

It's a dream... it's a start... soon, it could be reality...

(Hmmmm another story of knights... maybe I am obsessed too of being a knight myself heh heh)

No comments: